Total votes : 7
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:53 am

Figz wrote:I feel it is worth the investment for what I use it for.

The ONLY thing stopping me from getting one is that I worry that my playstation emulation and emulators may not be up to snuff. I've heard that Sony capped the processor at 222mhz - that there isn't even an option to overclock because the processor only goes to 222mhz. I'd be very appreciative if someone could comment on that.

Also, I worry about the heat given off by the wifi antenna.

Also, I worry about being able to charge the PSP while using wifi - is it possible with the new model?

I mean, if the processor will only cap at 222mhz, then just imagine trying to run your SNES emulator on it. It wouldn't be enjoyable at all for 95% of the games.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:54 pm

I would seriosuly doubt sony would only allow 22mhz on the new psp models. ESPECIALLY since the official 3.70 firmware for the old psp (i think it was one sooner then this one though) alows it. In a few days or so i am going to go buy one. so i will test it and report back with more info....
<<

Figz

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:11 pm

DarkPacMan77 wrote:I'd be very appreciative if someone could comment on that.

I have no plans to mod #2 but if you know a way I can help with the processor speed I will. I do not have the external antenna so I won't be much help there. I can say nothing has changed just using the internal wifi. I still as good as it was on #1. Let me know what I can do to help though.

On another notes, the addition of themes in the themes setting menu leads me to believe that this may be something our fellow hackers can help us do with from the XMB. Instead of needing to flash new icons we might be able to just place them on the memory stick and use the new menu selection to apply them. Of course #2 would need to be running custom firmware I am sure but at least now it will take some of the risk out of the process.

The video feature interests me the most though. Running homebrew and the ability to now display it on other monitors opens new doors in the scene. We may see apps that use this popping up real soon.
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:16 pm

wow. My little topic got big. lol. I hope just as DrakPacman that it is faster then 222. If at all possible it would be cool if it whent past 333mhz but thats a little fantasy.

It would be cool having homebrew on the tv. And by all means FULL SCREEN. (stupid sony) I know why they did that though so no need to tell me again ;)

A heard it actually has a little better little worse wifi. IDR
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:12 pm

Well Figz, do this for me. I want you to get on wifi on #2 (either gaming or web browsing) and then plug in the external AC power cord. Does #2's power light turn orange and begin to charge? - or does it stay green and NOT charge like the fat units do. And also, does the internal wifi get noticeably hotter to the hand on #2 just like it did on the fat PSP. Do you think it may be uncomfortable to hold onto after extended use on wifi?

But yes, I'm thinking of getting my own #2 tomorrow... maybe the day after. I'm going to load 3.60 M33 on it. Also, just tonight I unbricked my second PSP, so I should have all of the collateral I need to buy a new slim PSP.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:55 pm

I don't think that external antena is for wifi... i could be wrong, but I thought it was a TV tuner...
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:40 pm

Yes, I've been able to confirm that the external antenna is indeed NOT a replacement for the PSP's internal wifi. I also think it is just a tv tuner of some sort. Wonder if it gets FM stations... but if anyone has any extra info on what the heck it is, please bring us up-to-date.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Azukon

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:49 pm

Everyone always likes the original consoles :) I would stay with the original i dont realy care about an EXTERNAL Wifi.. or being able to connect the psp upto the T.V It doesnt realy bother me..
--------------------------------------------------
.:: (:PSP Firmware History:) ::.
PSP Phat: 2.71 > BRICKED > Pandora! > 1.50 > 3.52 M33-4 > Updated my Pandora > 3.80M33-5 > 3.90M33 (Sold PSP)..

Got a PSP-SLIM! > OLD PANDORA! > 3.80 M33-5 > Should i update?
--------------------------------------------------
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:48 am

You know... as appealing as the slim is... I think I may just stick with my fatty PSP's. I have two, and both need repairs. One needs UMD tray repairs (but still works 100%, but if you press up on the bottom sometimes the UMD tray will pop open) and the other needs a new faceplate (it's cracked down the right side).

If anyone is willing to ship me parts, I'd be so damned appreciative.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Figz

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:06 am

DarkPacMan77 wrote:I want you to get on wifi on #2 (either gaming or web browsing) and then plug in the external AC power cord. Does #2's power light turn orange and begin to charge? - or does it stay green and NOT charge like the fat units do. And also, does the internal wifi get noticeably hotter to the hand on #2 just like it did on the fat PSP. Do you think it may be uncomfortable to hold onto after extended use on wifi?

It turns orange and starts to charge. Also I have not noticed any heat issues after prolonged use of the wifi.

DarkPacMan77 wrote:One needs UMD tray repairs (but still works 100%, but if you press up on the bottom sometimes the UMD tray will pop open) and the other needs a new faceplate (it's cracked down the right side).

If you PM me your details I have those extra parts and can get them to you. Just be specific in what you need maybe pictures so I make sure to send you all of what you need. The face plate I have is a little dirty and has minor scratches but it will work for you if you clean it up.
Previous

Return to PlayStation Portable