BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Sat May 15, 2010 5:58 pm

HTPC

So Im thinking of getting one. For those who dont know what they are, they are basically a low power consuming PC that performs the basic task of streaming and playing HD content from Hulu, Netflix, ect to a TV, as well as skype video conference, browse the web, email that stuff.

So far I am really really liking this Asus Aspiro Revo PC I found- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883103235

Intel Atom Processor (Dual Core)- 1.60 Ghz with hyerthreading.
2GB Ram
160GB HDD(not to concerned about this. I mean I can always add a 1TB external for cheap)
Wireless N
Nvidia ION graphics (more than enough to handle HD. Especially since the LE version can)

Comes with wireless mouse and keyboard.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Sun May 16, 2010 1:14 am

Well, if you want a true HTPC, a nettop like that can't fully fit the bill. You're missing two big things. Bluray and tv recording. If you actually build one yourself, you can add a tv tuner card that can record. Check out mini ITX boards.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

Kanadier

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 2 times

Thanks received: 60 times

Post Sun May 16, 2010 6:53 am

I'd suggest going for something a little bit better. Spend an extra $50.00, you'll most likely find one two times as powerful. I'll try to find you some links.
<<

light_alistor

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Sun May 16, 2010 12:51 pm

check out this one of the side comments suggested vs the one you were looking at. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
"Life isn't about changing the world. Its about doing your best to leave it the way it is and respecting the wills of others. and believing in your own." - Big Boss
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Sun May 16, 2010 5:00 pm

brentbizzle wrote:Well, if you want a true HTPC, a nettop like that can't fully fit the bill. You're missing two big things. Bluray and tv recording. If you actually build one yourself, you can add a tv tuner card that can record. Check out mini ITX boards.

I already have a Blu-Ray player (and this one can stream bluray content) and an addon TV tuner. An integrated card would be awesome tho if its cheap(ish)

DieHard- If $50 gives me x2 the performance Im all for it. Bring on the links my man

Light_alistor- Looks like a good machine. Iv never been a fan of AMD tho. Not saying they are bad, but I have honestly not had much experience with them. They dont seem to provide the Hyperthreading cores, Speed Boost when needed feature set like Intel processors do (yes, even the netbook Atom processors have Hyperthreading).

Image Image
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Sun May 16, 2010 5:27 pm

If you're just going HTPC, the processor isn't all that important as even the cheapest modern processors are fast enough to pull their weight. And as long as you're talking about just video playback than most video cards will be able to handle the job as well. A nettop gives you a quick all in one machine you can use as an HTPC. A quick wipe, linux install, and some tweaking and it can boot straight into XBMC. You'll be confined to only media playback though with this option. This will be the cheapest way.

For a more fully functional HTPC you have to build which is going to cost more. You can get mini ITX boards for under $100. A video card will be easily obtainable in the $50-$100 range. You'll also have to worry about casing, psu, and such. Prob the most expensive part will be the tuner, but if you want your HTPC to run like a DVR it's essential. If you don't want this than there's really no point in going this way and you're better off getting a nettop.
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Sun May 16, 2010 5:58 pm

I have a Dish network HD receiver so a DVR function (without lag) would be outa the question I would think?

How bout this, if someone can get me a quick list or parts to make an awesome media PC (Processor, motherboard, ect) that kicks the crap outa a pre built one for $450 il give it a solid look.

My only problem is iv never actually built one before.

Image Image
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Mon May 17, 2010 6:46 am

Don't worry about the building process BKF; you know who to talk to when the time comes. As far as a media center PC goes, I would be glad to help out. Keep in mind that you will probably want a capture card/ tv tuner or something added in and those range in price and vary with which operating systems they work best on, although most work with Windows.

Also, don't worry about Intel over AMD or vice versa. My gaming rig has an AMD chip in it that will beat the taste out of an Intel chip's mouth. AMD is good and for a low-profile type of machine, it suits it perfectly. I am at work drudging up yet another 10 hour shift, but I can PROBABLY help out later tonight, like 8PM EST.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Mon May 17, 2010 10:30 am

DarkPacMan77 wrote:Don't worry about the building process BKF; you know who to talk to when the time comes. As far as a media center PC goes, I would be glad to help out. Keep in mind that you will probably want a capture card/ tv tuner or something added in and those range in price and vary with which operating systems they work best on, although most work with Windows.

Also, don't worry about Intel over AMD or vice versa. My gaming rig has an AMD chip in it that will beat the taste out of an Intel chip's mouth. AMD is good and for a low-profile type of machine, it suits it perfectly. I am at work drudging up yet another 10 hour shift, but I can PROBABLY help out later tonight, like 8PM EST.

-DarkPacMan77-

Thanks DPM. I knew youd help in building it :D

The one Light showed me looked great actually.
Athlon II X3 425(2.7GHz)- DPM, I see this processor actually has a 4th core thats locked. As well as L3 cache being locked as well..? The latter I dont understand as much. But anyway you know how to do this? Also, how much can this thing be overclocked with a basic cooling?

4GB DDR2- DDR2? Once again, I know 4 is usable (heck im using 2GB right now). What I dont know is DDR2 or DDR3

750GB HDD- That doesnt matter really. 1TB external drives are getting cheaper and cheaper.

NVIDIA GeForce 9200- Anybody have any idea on this? Good enough card or should I aim higher?

Image Image
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon May 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Yes, that processor can sometimes be "unlocked" using a certain southbridge chipset. I'm at work still and can't perfectly verify which is the correct chipset for the southbridge on the motherboard but it's something like SB750 or 710 or something... but that sounds wrong to me. I can help later though because I actually have a mobo with the correct chipset, although some batch numbers vary... so it's NOT a gauranteed unlock.

Regarding DDR rates, it's like this. First was dual data rate, then dual data rate 2, then 3. They can transport a higher theoretical bandwidth at higher rates, but ddr2 is 100% legit still. I use DDR2 800mhz RAM in my computer build and in higher capacities there's no reason to get DDR3 right now. DDR2 is still incredibly fast for today's needs and higher-end DDR2 (like DDR2 1333mhz) can actually beat out most of the faster DDR3 stuff out right now but at a fraction of the cost.

The geforce 9200 I believe is an integrated chipset, so that means it's not "dedicated", which means it will rob resources from the RAM for graphics. This is good and bad at the same time. When you see a graphics cards stats, if it says GDDR3 that's essentially "graphics dual data rate". It's all the way to GDDR5, but mostly ATi cards use that (to compete with faster Nvidia architectures). In any sense, the 9200 can do say, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 on Low settings at playable frames still... so it's got a little power. It's direct X 9.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon May 17, 2010 3:42 pm

I'm not sure what kind of resources a video capture card will require, but as far as just video playback, keep in mind you don't need very much power at all. i'd focus on keeping the price low, as well as using low voltage parts. The less power they consume, the less hot they're going to get, and the less you have to worry about cooling. Many people when building HTPCs will spend extra to get the lowest voltage parts they can to try and build passive cooling systems. You don't want an HTPC with 4 fans on high drowning out your movies.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon May 17, 2010 4:23 pm

A capture card can use up a bit of resources, but the processor itself can handle that easily. I don't know much about capture cards as far as what specifications to look for, but regarding low wattage parts, sure, it'd be nice to get lower wattage parts. You'll get longer performance and use less electricity. Aren't those triple cores 95-125W? That's a tad high. If you want to scrap the video capture card in favor of price, even a low-end core 2 duo from Intel would fit the bill. They have the E 6300 or whatever entry-level processor and they spawned off some lower watt variants also.

Processors tend to be pretty smart though. They won't use their max wattage unless they have to (depends on model #). I have a 95W processor and it's probably only using 50-55W most of the time.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon May 17, 2010 4:57 pm

I'm not sure about AMDs, but the older intels, specifically the core 2 and others can actually be undervolted. You'll have the same performance, but less heat and less electricity consumption. Capture card requirements aside, there's no reason for you to pay more than $50 on a processor.

Really though, I'd point you to mini ITX boards...
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Mon May 17, 2010 6:21 pm

How much money can I really save (on average. I know we cant be exact) if i build the system myself?

I figure I should have a list of priorities set such as:

Case (obviously)
Processor
Graphix (Tv tuner possibly. Maybe not)
RAM
HDD.

These are the main ones. Also, if either of you would supply me with a list of EVERYTHING I need that would be great. I know the basics and the basics only really. Cords ect.

DPM the processor I was looking at is 95W btw

Image Image
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon May 17, 2010 6:50 pm

You need to think about the following:

CPU, mobo, RAM, GPU, HDD, PSU, case, and don't forget cooling. There's also not the biggest selection out there for HTPC cases.

If you went mini ITX, the processor is usually already installed as they use non-desktop cpus i think. So that is a 2-in-1 combo right there. They also use a lot less power than running a full desktop cpu and mobo.

We can give you some help, but at least I'm not going to hold your hand. If you're going to do this, start doing some reading because if anything happens, you only have yourself to answer to. Do some research into what you need, hardware requirements, power requirements. Need to do your own homework.
Next

Return to Computer Chat