<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 19 times

Thanks received: 8 times

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:27 am

DarkPacMan77 wrote:
So Linux, RIGHT from a fresh install, has that feature? Or is it something you later add in? If you add it yourself, you can say it's third-party for Linux too.

it comes with

DarkPacMan77 wrote: I like Windows because it's compatible with anything and everything and if the one neat feature from Linux is presented in a Windows application that I can use - NEAT!

same thing with the MAC dock. stardock. pretty cool. there also a linux version

DarkPacMan77 wrote:So far, the ONLY thing I've ever taken from Linux is the program Pidgin.

wrong. there are many things windows has linux has. GIMP for example.

DarkPacMan77 wrote: I find it nice and simple and it has lots of extras that typical instant messaging programs don't allow as well as being able to use multiple logins at once. But we must remember that it's NOT a "Linux" feature. It's featured in Linux, yes, but it's a free program to download.

-DarkPacMan77-

once again, not true. pidgin is already on ubuntu when you install
Billy Mays is STILL my Hero.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:58 pm

I'm satisfied with my W7, no problems worth mentioning.
<<

False_chicken

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks received: 12 times

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:37 pm

All versions of linux have multiple desktop support from a fresh install. Since about 96.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:09 pm

airplanes18 wrote:
DarkPacMan77 wrote:
So Linux, RIGHT from a fresh install, has that feature? Or is it something you later add in? If you add it yourself, you can say it's third-party for Linux too.

it comes with

DarkPacMan77 wrote: I like Windows because it's compatible with anything and everything and if the one neat feature from Linux is presented in a Windows application that I can use - NEAT!

same thing with the MAC dock. stardock. pretty cool. there also a linux version

DarkPacMan77 wrote:So far, the ONLY thing I've ever taken from Linux is the program Pidgin.

wrong. there are many things windows has linux has. GIMP for example.

DarkPacMan77 wrote: I find it nice and simple and it has lots of extras that typical instant messaging programs don't allow as well as being able to use multiple logins at once. But we must remember that it's NOT a "Linux" feature. It's featured in Linux, yes, but it's a free program to download.

-DarkPacMan77-

once again, not true. pidgin is already on ubuntu when you install

Nah, you aren't understanding what I'm saying. In regards to Pidgin, that's the only program I've personally decided to go download and use on Windows. I know GIMP and many other VERY great programs are available on Linux from the start and many more are available to download. What I meant by "Pidgin not being a Linux feature" is that the program is "featured" in Linux and "part" of Linux as you first install, at least in Ubuntu 9.10 that I used, but that it isn't a "feature" of Linux itself in the sense that I can just get it on Windows.

I say that because although certain programs may be pre-installed on various versions of Windows or OEM/ white box builds, they aren't "part" of Windows in the sense that they are bloatware unless you actually use them. My point was that I don't use anything but Pidgin (or FireFox) when I'm on Linux...

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

False_chicken

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:24 pm

I got what you meant DPM. Yeah pidgin is not part of linux it just happens to be open source and happens to be included lol. Im waiting for Ubuntu 10.04 to be released. I played with the beta and it was pretty nice. Its got social networking and IM integrated into the OS. Its kinda nice to set your status for all your accounts (Twitter, Facebook Etc.) and your IM status from the start menu. I hope Microsoft adds something like that in the future. As I use windows 7 for my games and I play games quite a bit. Would be cool to have.
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:31 pm

oh...... ok, yeah you were just a little unclear.... no all good now
<<

Mailas

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:37 pm

False_chicken wrote: Its kinda nice to set your status for all your accounts (Twitter, Facebook Etc.) and your IM status from the start menu. I hope Microsoft adds something like that in the future

With windows anything like this is possible.
<<

False_chicken

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:32 am

I have not seen it yet. And I mean INTEGRATED lol. Not some extra program you download. While those are good for some applications I really don't like work-arounds. They get nasty and slow the system down. Im sure Microsoft will follow suit soon. With the new 7 phones having Facebook integration and all. Its only a matter of time at this point.
<<

The Cookie Monster

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 9 times

Thanks received: 54 times

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:29 am

did you know that dell has started to sell laptops with linux (ubuntu) now?
-Formerly DCM
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:58 am

Been doing that a while DCM.

its a cool thing. It should make their (crappy) laptops cheaper, make them run better, and maybe dell will get some quality hardware to go with that quality OS. just sayin.

maybe dell is trying to make up for its years of stupidity and crap
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:04 pm

airplanes18 wrote:maybe dell is trying to make up for its years of stupidity and crap

Dell has usually appealed to a mainstream market and created computers that are weaker in power but more suited for general office applications. Although they offer higher-end machines, it's never been their forte, and buying out Alienware and bringing their higher-end computers to their lineup hasn't really intrigued me so much. I think that's just a computer builder's "thing" though. Once you know how to build a computer, which isn't too hard, and you know about current hardware specifications and what-not, it's almost always cheaper to make your own computer and have extra options for the motherboard like overclocking etc.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

The Cookie Monster

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 9 times

Thanks received: 54 times

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:09 am

Yep, I agree with airplanes, if it does that completely, their laptop prices will fall down a lot since ubuntu is free...
But I bet dell will still charge you (some amount) for it!
-Formerly DCM
<<

False_chicken

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:57 am

Yeah I agree with airplanes and DCM. And yeah DPM could not have said that better myself lol. Once you learn to build them you never even look at pre-built PCs again. Its ALWAYS cheaper to build your own. Idk there is just a different feeling knowing that its yours and you built it.
<<

False_chicken

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:08 pm

Welcome to the party lol
<<

SiXAXiS

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:21 am

I think windows 7 is the best microsoft has done. Its pretty much Vista, with a better looking theme, and most of the kinks worked out.
SiXAXiSMoFo
PreviousNext

Return to Computer Chat