<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:22 am

Weird freezing issues.

Okay i've tried all the normal stuff, uninstall any thing that I have installed since it started or whatever. I have a weird problem now every once and a while my computer freezes. Like I can still move the mouse but that's it, and it usually happens after a hour or two of inactivity. I noticed it happening a little bit after I changed the power options to sleep after 4 hours. Sometimes before it went to sleep, it would freeze so I changed the power options back and now it still freezes every so often :( Any ideas?

W7 64 bit
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 19 times

Thanks received: 8 times

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:28 am

i have the same w7 edition, and for a while, i had the freezing issues too. thats what drove me over to linux to try steam on it.

it runs fine for like 20 mins or so, right? first thing to try is go and revert it back to a previous state. it has a different name, but it basically gives you the chance to undo things you did wrong that might affect your system.

im off to school, but i can finish what im saying when i get home, if someone does finish for me....
Billy Mays is STILL my Hero.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:58 am

Well it isn't a certain amount of time, before i turned off sleep it would usually freeze if i tried to get on my computer maybe like 1 hour before it was scheduled to go into sleep mode. But now it just happens randomly every so often (maybe once every 2 days or something). I don't have a restore point before I turned on sleep though in the power options since that was quite a while ago >.<
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
<<

The Cookie Monster

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 9 times

Thanks received: 54 times

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:13 am

-Formerly DCM
<<

Mailas

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:09 pm

Da Cool Man wrote:try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

First of all can you computer even handle the 64bit version?
If not, better get the 32bit.
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 19 times

Thanks received: 8 times

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:38 pm

it wouldnt install, would it? ubuntu wont. atleast the 8.04 JJ wont. says it isnt compatible.

i remember installing 7 it said, this is a 64bit system, you may continue or something along those lines. it wouldnt let him install it.

best i can think, its got a crapload to startup and think about before it remembers to FUNCTION.

i delete some crap i enever used when i installed, and mine stopped freezing. but im ubuntu most the time, i have few issues if any, and thats all beta stuff that i know will crash. skype.....
Billy Mays is STILL my Hero.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Ok, let me get this straight.

You, for whatever reason, decided to set your computer to go into sleep mode after 4 hours in your "Power Options" section in your Control Panel. After you did so, it glitches up like you say and "freezes". You returned the Power Management Profile back to the way you originally had it and it's still giving those issues and you never had those issues before you set it to sleep after 4 hours.

Is that correct?

Have you tried other "Preferred Plans" such as "Balanced", "Power Saver", or "High Performance"? Also, do you have certain settings for "when to turn off the display" or "when the computer sleeps" set at all? Lastly, have you tried "Creating a Power Plan"? The options are basic and simple but it might be best to completely rid yourself of any existing Power Plan if you haven't already.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:51 pm

Pretty much what you said. I wanted to try to save some polar bears (and energy bills..) by setting my computer to go to sleep after 4 hours a while ago (maybe 2 months ago, I've had windows 7 64 bit installed since the RTM was leaked, still running fine since then until about a week or two ago). I already have it set to high performance, monitor turns off after like a hour or something. No power plans, nuttin. It seems that say I let my computer idle for 3 hours, maybe an hour before it goes to sleep I get on and can move the mouse but thats it. I click and nothing happens. I press the reset button and go about my business, leave home and come back like 6 hours later after work and the computer is in sleep mode perfectly fine, and wakes up fine.

Sooo I turned off sleep mode and now every so often (maybe happened 2-3 times this week so far) it still has that same kind of freeze.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Your best bet is a fresh installation. Just back up your stuff, wipe the drive, and have a virgin Windows 7 installation to deflower. This way you don't have any crapwear installed, you can start fresh with the newest drivers for your hardware and if you're smart, make a backup of your system in its virgin states with all the drivers installed for you to restore to should anything happen in the future. :)
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:39 pm

Yea I was dreading reinstalling it, but if I do I will probably decide just to order a SSD and start from there ;) I've had this installed though since..well...about the time the "rtm" was leaked yah kno (the one w/o language packs) and assumed I would have wiped it by now or whatever, but yea.

Never ran into this problem before though, was hoping the internet and all of its infinite wisdom could help me out with some weird off the wall solution that I didn't think about!
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:22 pm

Don't let the monitor goto sleep either. See if that clears it up if you don't want to reinstall. I had a similar issue in Vista x64 Ultimate where if I let the computer go into sleep mode it and brought it out of sleep mode it would turn the display off every hour (because I originally had it set to turn off the monitor every hour and sleep every 2 hours or something like that). But this issue wouldn't happen if I didn't let it fall asleep.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.

Return to Computer Chat